Friday, March 18, 2011

mirror makeover and some nuts

So i have this mirror and one of the hanger thingys broke so i couldn't hang it and it was really annoying. Its not a very expensive mirror as you can see but i didn't want to go buy another one so i tried several different ideas and came up with this...


i popped the mirror off the top of the frame and slipped a ribbon through it.


and then I roughly painted it black. the top is slightly warped now but at least I can see what my outfit  looks like before I leave the house.



My new favorite thing!
Honey roasted almonds

I'm trying to eat healthier and like always my sweet tooth ruins my diet every time.
The solution... sugar coated nuts. I figure they are better then a bowl of ice cream or 5 chocolate chip cookies....

2 cups whole almonds, skins on
1/4 c sugar
1/2 t salt
2 T honey
2 T water 
2 t almond or vegetable oil
1. spread almonds in a single layer in a shallow ungreased baking pan and place in a cold oven. Bake at 350 stirring occasionally, until the internal color of the nuts are tan takes about 12 to 15 min.
2. thoroughly mix the sugar and salt. (i added cinnamon to mine but i like it both ways.)
3. in a medium sized pan stir together water oil and honey. bring to a boil over medium heat. 
4. stir in almonds and cook untill the liquid has been absorbed by the nuts. takes about 5 min
this is what it looks like when theres no moisture left. be careful it burns if you're not watching

5. Immediately transfer to a medium bowl and sprinkle with sugar mixture. toss and spread on wax paper.



*Side note*
I put Jacob down the other night and two hours later he woke up screaming (he never does that) and this is what i found....

I had laid him down in the middle of the bed. He had crawled out of his jammies and somehow over to the other side of the bed. 

2 comments:

kendle sue said...

bahahah!!! that is a not so happy baby! how very strange!!!

Amanda Kristeen said...

Watch out - he's a mover and possibly a future clothes-taker-offer. ;) Looks yummy too - we'll have to try that someday!